7th October, 2011



Being a coffee lover myself, I found this next piece of artwork truly extraordinary. It was created using 3,604 cups of coffee!




This 'Mocha' Lisa was created during The Rocks Aroma Festival, in Sydney, Australia and attracted the curious eyes of 130,000 people in just one day. This incredible coffee masterpiece took 8 people three hours to complete as well as the 3,604 cups of coffee and 564 pints of milk. Adding various amount of milk to the cups of coffee created the incredible sepia effect. Four shades were mixed and used to create the 20ft by 13ft replica of Leonardo da Vinci's La Gioconda. When finished, it looked spectacular!



In an interview with The Telegraph four of the eight artists express: "We wanted to create an element of surprise and a sense of fun in the way we engaged with the public”.

"Once we had the idea of creating an image out of coffee cups we searched for something iconic to reproduce - and opted for the most iconic painting in history”.

"The Mona Lisa has been reproduced so many times in so many different mediums but, as far as we know, never out of coffee”.

"The result was fantastic”.

"After much planning it was great to see if coming together so well and the 130,000 people who attended the event certainly enjoyed it."

Incredible planning would have taken place to analyze the different shades required and as to their exact placement in order to achieve this incredible masterpiece. I definitely take my hat off to all involved.

Proving there is no limitation to art American artist and caffeine-lover Karen Eland has certainly taken the cake, or should I say coffee, with this modernized copy of the Mona Lisa. Take a look at Eland's website, “where everything you see has been created using only coffee and water”.



Mocha Lisa
watch the stop-motion video here

4 comments:

  1. Very clever!!
    I wish I had an imaginative mind to think up things like these and the skills to carry them out
    Great blog Michelle !!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cathy .. I know right! .. I really don't know how they come up with these fantastic ideas, I wish I shared their imaginative minds also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo much coffee. It seems a waste to me (as a caffeine addict). I do love the idea. It reminds me of basic key-tone paintings we used to do in high school art; breaking an image down into 3 basic tones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denya! .. a few comments had been made as to the coffee wastage on other forums I have read. As for myself I'm not too fazed .. I think it's brilliant. I think the artists have created an excellent replication of the Mona Lisa, like you point out, with the use of only 3 basic tones =D
    P.S - I, too share your love of caffeine O.o

    ReplyDelete