04 November, 2011

sand sculpture
In 2001 when I heard of a Sand Exhibition to be held at Palm Beach, Sydney I found myself rather intrigued. This was an event I was sure to pay a visit. Once again, my mind would be opened up and exposed to yet another, somewhat different, medium in which art would be displayed.

My eldest daughter was only 3yrs old at the time, and I was sure she would love to see these elaborate sandcastles up close. As a kid she very much enjoyed making sandcastles on the beach.

I remember walking away thinking incredible! It was just incredible how these artists carved these magnificent 3D sculptures from sand. The sculptures would be constructed using river sand, which is a finer material when compared to beach sand and therefore more suited to being sculpted. The sand used was shipped specially for the event. 2,500 tonnes of sand was used by 18 sculptures.

It is the sculpting phase, which initially draws the most attention from the public. Typically entrants begin construction before the opening of an event, whilst during the event sculptor's work as "performing artists", creating each sand sculpture through the event and completing it prior to the close of the event. This way patrons can view the process, return to view the progress, and eventually view the finished sculpture itself.

Watching these sculptures come to life before my very eyes was amazing. This particular type of exhibition will be one that I will always remember. I have not heard of any other sand sculpture events since that one, so feel very priviledged to have experienced it.

No comments:

Post a Comment