28th October, 2011

My early discovery, of melting images, through Dali was re-lit during the tenth annual exhibition of Sculpture by the Sea, 2006. This incredible melted van stood out above all else. I was completely, and still am, in total awe of this incredible creation.

hot with a chance of a late storm
Artists Johnathon Kneebone and James Dives from Advertising Agency 'The Glue Society' created the remarkable van. The sculpture of the melted Mr. Whippy ice cream van was placed on Tamarama Beach, ready for it's showing.

The concept aim of this showpiece was a statement on the perils of Global Warming. The foam and urethane construction a price tag of $22,000. I must admit, if I had the money I would be more than tempted to purchase it .. I just love it!! The unique and fitting concept is one that I love to share with my children.

It won the Allens Arthur Robinson People's Choice and the NAB Kids' Choice Awards.

The annual event, Sculpture by the Sea began in 1996. In 1995, founder David Handley was living in Prague when he visited an outdoor sculpture park in Klatovy, Northern Bohemia. Handley was so inspired; he decided to recreate a similar event in Australia.  Each year works are spread across the cliff from Bronte Beach to Bondi Beach via Tamarama Beach. Over 100 sculptures are exhibited and an estimated 450,000 visitors are attracted to view them.  Hot with a chance of a late storm has kept me coming back year, after year, after year. I find the yearly wait as exciting as Christmas. I love the walk, and although over the years I have grown my family I have always made the trek, and have always found that one piece to stand out above the rest.

hot with the chance of a late storm

No comments:

Post a Comment